Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Books, mp3's, and homeschooling

Books, mp3's and homeschooling what do all these things have in common?  My son Biggun, that is what.



My son Biggun, is 10 years old and reading is not his favorite thing to do.  He has struggled w/ reading from the start.  But boy does he LOVE to hear a good story.  He loves books, just not reading them.  I have always read to him, we usually have a book on CD going in the car , checked out from the library, but for him to do read a book on his own has just not been a big thing for him.

For Christmas he asked for an mp3 player, w/o even thinking that he could listen to books on it. Boy was he surprised when he got his beloved mp3 player for Christmas loaded w/ songs and a few books.  Since then he has listened some wonderful classics, all on his mp3.

I asked him what his favorite so far has been and he said "Little Men" by Louisa May Alcott and "Five Children and It" by E. (Edith) Nesbit

Little Men by Louisa May Alcott   Five Children and It by E. (Edith) Nesbit

I found a great website that I can download the mp3's for free Books Should Be Free.

I am on the hunt for more books in mp3 format that are FREE and appropriate for a 10 year old boy, as my son is going through these that I have found very fast.

I tried to check out books on CD from the library to download to my computer then to his mp3 player, but it did not work.

The best part about the books on mp3 is that Biggun is listening to them ALL the time.  Not just during school time! His favorite time to listen is when he is cleaning his room or doing a chore.  He says it makes it go faster.  

What Mom doesn't love that?

Lil' Momma

1 comment:

  1. Awesome idea, Brandy! Hmmmm, so are you saying that I can get my kids to do more chores if I load books onto their ipods? :-)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...